COVID-19 | CERB
Have you recently been laid off due to the corona pandemic? Including you, many fellow Canadians are affected by the recent job cuts because of the same. Therefore, the Canadian government has set up a Canada Emergency Response Benefit program to support you during these hard times.
What is the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?
The Canadian government has launched a Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) to provide temporary income support to all people who’ve recently lost their job because of COVID-19. The CERB provides $500 a week for up to 16 weeks to such people. However, there are certain conditions for who can receive the benefit.
Eligibility Criteria for CERB
The benefit will be available to workers who:
- Are residing in Canada and are at least 15 years old
- Have stopped working because of COVID-19 and not voluntarily quit their job
- Are eligible for Employemnt Insurance regular or sickness benefits;
- Had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application
- Are expected to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. Moreover, for subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment or self-employment income.
How to apply?
Moreover, for faster and easy delivery payments, the CERB is jointly delivered by Service Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency.
Furthermore, you can know more about the benefits here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application/questions.html