Canada ramps up PR invitations in 2021 Express Entry draws

Canada continues to hold Express Entry draws to meet its Immigration Levels Plan goals, creating more opportunities for graduates who want to work abroad. Source: Johan Ordonez/AFP
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) held its third-largest Express Entry draw on May 31, inviting 5,956 candidates to apply for permanent residence (PR) under the Canadian Express Class (CEC). They each had a Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS) of at least 380, which is the second-lowest it has been this year. IRCC data indicates that 95% of CEC candidates were in the Express Entry pool at the time.

IRCC invited 4,114 more candidates in this round compared to the previous CEC-only draw, which had a lower CRS requirement of 363. This comes after a surprise draw on May 20, where candidates with CRS scores of at least 397 were invited. The largest draw overall this year was held in February, with a record number of 27,332 candidates — of which 23,877 successfully applied within three months.

So far, Canada has admitted 108,500 new immigrants via Express Entry-managed programs, while IRCC has invited 74,773 Express Entry candidates to apply for permanent residence. As detailed in the Immigration Levels Plan, Canada aims to attract 400,000 new permanent residents by 2023.

IRCC Twitter

IRCC prioritizing domestic candidates in Express Entry

Canada has been prioritizing candidates already in the country because it is easier for them to complete permanent residency landings. On the other hand, candidates approved while overseas may not be able to travel to Canada soon enough given ongoing pandemic travel restrictions. According to the Canadian government, it makes more sense to target domestic candidates.

The CEC Express Entry draw invites candidates who are eligible for permanent residence to submit their applications. Candidate eligibility is based on the CRS, as opposed to the Provincial Nomination Program (PNP), which uses Expression of Interest (EOI) points. PNP candidates automatically get an additional 600 points towards their overall score, whereas CEC candidates — who are not competing for invitations from other programs — can apply on lower CRS scores.

If you have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada and hold a higher education qualification from a Canadian university, you probably qualify for permanent residence here. The Express Entry system allows you to express interest in three Federal High Skilled programs: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and CEC. Eligibility is determined by CRS points, which are awarded based on skilled work experience, education, age, official language skills, and other factors that you may view on the official website.

Get your Open Work Permit with Admission Hub

Trusted by 3000+ students from over 29 countries| 3 ICCRC immigration consultants | Highly Experienced Team | 35 Team Members

Contact us

More to explorer

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.

Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions.

If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top