Canada’s Spousal Open Work Permit Changes in 2024: A Guide by Admission Hub

If you’re a study permit holder inside Canada and wish to reunite with your spouse or common-law partner, this blog post is for you. Read on as we delve into the commonly asked questions from our students

Recent Changes to the Spousal Open Work Permit Program

Effective March 19, 2024, the eligibility criteria for the Spousal Open Work Permit program have become more stringent. Now, only spouses and common-law partners of international students enrolled in specific academic programs at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs), such as master’s or doctoral degree programs, are eligible. Additionally, spouses of Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holders continue to qualify. However, there are still viable options for bringing your spouse to Canada, which we will discuss in detail below.

Reuniting with Your Spouse Despite Policy Changes

If the recent Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) policy changes impact your situation, don’t worry. You can still apply for a visitor visa for your spouse. Once in Canada, they can transition to a study permit. For a detailed understanding of this process, book a consultation with our trusted consultants. We can discuss the options available for you and your spouse, ensuring a smooth transition. application eligible.

Ensuring Eligibility for a Spousal Open Work Permit

To ensure your spouse or partner is eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit, you must:

  1. Hold a valid study permit.
  2. Be enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program at a Designated Learning Institution.
  3. Maintain full-time student status.

Meeting these criteria is crucial for the eligibility of your spouse or partner.

Spousal Work Permit for PGWP Holders

There are no changes for the spouses of PGWP holders. Your spouse can still apply for an open work permit if you hold a PGWP. This consistency offers a reliable path for PGWP holders to bring their spouses to Canada.

How Canada Admission Hub Can Help

Admission Hub has a team of experts ready to guide you through the application process for a Spousal Open Work Permit. With a proven track record of assisting thousands of students, we can help secure your study permit and your spouse’s or partner’s work permit. Book a consultation today by clicking on the link below.

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top