Canadian Experience Class (CEC) – Beginner’s Guide

You should read this to know your eligibility for the Canadian Experience Class:

There are many ways to apply for permanent residency in Canada, one of the most common streams that offers a great chance of success is the Canadian Experience Class.


In order to apply for Express Entry, you need to meet the requirement for Canadian Experience Class first and then you will be allowed to create an account on Express Entry.

To qualify for the CEC you must have:

Work Requirements:

12 months of Canadian work experience in 0, A or B category jobs according to the Canadian National Occupation Classification (NOC).

(Most applicants need to study in Canada in order to obtain a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), therefore, studying in Canada is the fastest way for international students to apply for PR.

English Requirements:

Applicant needs to achieve a score of at least 5.5 in each band (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing) for IELTS General. The test result must not be older than 2 years on the day you apply for PR otherwise you must retake the test.

Study Requirements:

  • At least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (before you apply). The work was:
    • full-time OR
    • an equal amount in part-time
  • Gained your work experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • Meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability
    • Writing
    • Reading
    • Listening
    • Speaking

*Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as on a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program.

Note: The province of Quebec does not use Express Entry. They select their own skilled workers. See Quebec-selected skilled workers to find out more.

(Applicant who has degree back home + work experience + 2 years college)

Anna came from Beijing, China. She holds a degree in business and she is single. Upon receiving her 2 year Diploma from Seneca College, she obtained a 3 year work permit. Since then she has worked in a bakery shop as a baker for 2 years.

  • Age = 110 (23 years)
  • Level of education = 120 (Degree in China + 2 years college in Canada)
  • Study in Canada = 15 (2 years study)
  • Official Languages = 116
  • English = 116 (IELTS Speaking:7 Reading:7 Writing:7 Listening:7)

Skill Transferability Factors

The Canadian government will give you extra points based on your work experience + Canadian Language proficiency. Taking Anna’s case as an example, you can tell she scored 7 in all respective modules of her language score with 1 year of work experience thus, EE rewards her extra points.

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 38

Anna qualifies for CEC (2 years work experience + 2 years studies experience)

And because of her 2 years work experience + 2 years studies experience) that gave her additional XX points making her stand out in the pool.

(Applicant who has a degree back home + 2 year college + 1 year back home work experience + 1 year Canadian work experience)

Juan is from Columbia and has a university degree*. He worked as a chef there for 1 year.  He came to Canada studied the 2 year Accounting Program at Seneca College. After graduating, Juan got a Post Graduate Work Permit and worked as a junior accountant for 1 year. He also has an older sister who is a permanent resident in Canada.

*Education Credential Assessment that states his education is equivalent to a Canadian Bachelor of Commerce degree

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top