Convert Your Visitor Visa to Study Permit: Apply to Toronto Colleges While in Canada

Are you on a visitor visa and interested in studying in Canada? The good news is that you can change your visitor visa to a study permit by applying to Toronto colleges while in Canada. Not only does this save you the hassle of returning to your home country to apply, but it also allows you to explore the vibrant city of Toronto while studying at some of the top institutions in the country. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of converting your visitor visa to a study permit and provide tips on selecting the right Toronto college for you.

If you are currently inside Canada with a visitor visa, there are only two ways to apply for a study permit:

1. Completing a prerequisite program

  • If you need to complete the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program as a prerequisite for your academic program, you can apply for conditional acceptance to both programs.
  • After completing the EAP program, which cannot exceed 6 months on a visitor visa, you can apply for a study permit from within Canada. You must submit your prerequisite EAP completion letter and your conditional letter of acceptance to the academic program, which must state that EAP is a prerequisite for admission, with your study permit application.
  • You can start your academic studies once you have applied for your study permit, as long as the application has been submitted before your visitor status expires. However, it is important to note that if your study permit application is denied, you must stop studying immediately.
Cultural diversity in Canada

2. You need to apply for a study permit as if you were outside of Canada

  • Even if you are physically in Canada, you must follow the instructions for study permit applications made outside Canada.
  • Meet all the admission requirements at the time of your application to your chosen college and program.
  • When using the IRCC online tools, select your country of citizenship when prompted to provide your current country or territory of residence. If you are currently in Canada, provide your Canadian address.
  • Upon approval of your application by IRCC, you will receive an approval letter stating that you are authorized to study in Canada. This letter is known as the port of entry letter of introduction. After obtaining the port of entry letter of introduction, you must leave Canada and request your study permit at the Port of Entry upon your return to Canada.
  • You are not allowed to begin your program until you have obtained your study permit.

You can find further details regarding IRCC guidelines for visitors by referring to the following this link

To determine if you meet the eligibility criteria to apply for a specific immigration program from within Canada, please refer to this page . Once there, select “Inside Canada” to view the list of eligible situations

Top Colleges in Toronto

Now you know your options for changing your tourist visa to a study permit, here are some of the top colleges in Toronto that are popular destinations among international students. 

Each of these colleges has its own unique programs and strengths, so it’s important to research and find the best fit for your academic goals and interests.

Toronto CollegesAdvantages of studying on this collegePrograms Offered
Seneca CollegeOne of the largest colleges in Canada with multiple campuses in Toronto offering a diverse range of diploma, certificate, and degree programs in areas such as applied arts, business, engineering technology, health sciences, and more. Seneca has a large international student community and provides support services tailored to international students, including orientation programs, English language support, and academic advising.Bachelor’s degree, diploma, and certificate programs in various fields such as business, arts, science, engineering, etc.
Centennial CollegeOne of the oldest and most respected colleges in Toronto offering a wide range of diploma, certificate, and degree programs in fields such as business, engineering technology, health sciences, media, hospitality, and more. Centennial has a diverse student population and provides services such as academic support, career counseling, and immigration advising specifically for international students.Diploma, degree, and certificate programs in fields such as business, engineering, health sciences, hospitality, media, and more.
ILAC CollegeA leading English language training institute in Canada that offers a variety of programs to help international students meet their language and academic goals.English language programs, pathway programs, certificate programs, and more.
TSOM (Toronto School of Management)A college that prepares students for leadership and management roles in various industries.Diploma and certificate programs in fields such as business, hospitality, accounting and finance, and more.
Fleming College – TorontoA campus of Fleming College located in the heart of Toronto, offering a range of programs in various fields.Diploma and certificate programs in fields such as business, community development, health sciences, and more.

FAQs: Visitor Visa to Study Permit

Q: Can I convert my visitor visa to a study permit in Canada?

A: Yes, it is possible to convert a visitor visa to a study permit in Canada.

Q: Can I study on a visitor visa in Canada?

A: No, it is not permitted to study on a visitor visa in Canada. However, if you plan to study in Canada for less than six months, you may not need a study permit. Furthermore, you should check with the Canadian embassy or consulate in your country to confirm whether or not you need a study permit, as there may be exceptions or special cases that apply to your situation.

Q: What is the process for converting a visitor visa to a study permit in Canada?

A: The process involves applying for a study permit as if you were outside of Canada, meeting all admissions requirements for the program of study OR providing proof of completion of any prerequisite programs. If the application is approved, a letter of introduction is issued, and the study permit can be obtained at the port of entry when re-entering Canada.

Q: Can I apply for a study permit from within Canada if I have completed a prerequisite program?

A: Yes, as of June 1, 2014, visitors who have completed a course or program of study that was previously identified as a prerequisite for their admission into a program of study at a DLI may apply for a study permit from within Canada.

Q: Can I start my academic studies while waiting for my study permit?

A: Yes, if the study permit application has been submitted before the expiry of the visitor status.

Q: What happens if my study permit application is denied?

A: If the study permit application is denied, the individual is required to cease studying immediately.

Get professional help with Admission Hub!

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.

Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions.

If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top