Do Visitor Visa to Study Permit Applicants need to apply for an Attestation Letter?


If you are a Visitor looking to study in Canada, one question that might arise is whether you need a provincial attestation letter for your study permit application. This document is crucial for international students coming from abroad, but not everyone may need it. Today, we’re diving deep into understanding the requirement of a provincial attestation letter and who is exempt from it.

Understanding the Provincial Attestation Letter

What is a Provincial Attestation Letter?

A provincial attestation letter (PAL) is a formal document issued by the province where your educational institution is located. It attests to the legitimacy of both the institution and the academic program you’re enrolled in, ensuring they meet the provincial standards set for international students. This letter is an essential part of the documentation for some students applying for a study permit in Canada.

Who Needs an Attestation Letter?

The good news is, not every student in Canada needs to secure a PAL. The requirements vary based on your current status and what you are applying for. Here’s a quick rundown of who is exempt:

  • Primary and Secondary School Students: You do not need a PAL to study at these levels in Canada.
  • Master’s and Doctoral Degree Students: Your advanced level of study exempts you from needing this letter.
  • In-Canada Visiting or Exchange Students: If you’re studying at a designated learning institution on a visiting or exchange basis, you’re in the clear.
  • In-Canada Study Permit and Work Permit Holders: This also includes those applying for an extension.
  • In-Canada Family Members of Study or Work Permit Holders: If you’re supporting a family member who’s studying or working in Canada, you’re exempt.
  • Applications Received Before a Specific Date: For our example, students whose applications were received before 8:30 a.m. EST on January 22, 2024, are not required to have a PAL.

Understanding where you fit within these categories can save you significant time and streamline your study permit application process.

How Canada Admission Hub Can Help

At Canada Admission Hub, we’re dedicated to clearing up any confusion and assisting you throughout your study permit application. Trusted by thousands of students, we offer guidance and support to make your educational dreams in Canada a reality.

If you have questions or need further guidance, we encourage you to book a consultation call with us. Our team is here to assist with all aspects of your study permit, ensuring a smooth and successful application process.

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top