Study Permit: everything you need to know before applying

What is a Canadian study permit?

A document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) to someone who wants to come to Canada to study, or continue ongoing studies in Canada.


What are the general requirements for a Canadian study permit?


Obtain a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI);


for a permit you need a Valid passport or travel document


Police certificate and medical examination might be required


Proof of funds to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation;


Satisfy Canadian immigration authorities that they will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized by the study permit

Who can apply for a study permit within canada?

Spouse/Common-law and family members being sponsored who are in Canada and have applied for PR.

Person or family members holding a study or work permit

Minor children in primary or secondary school

Exchange or visiting students

Temporary Resident Permit holders (permit must be valid for at least 6 months)

Students who have completed a short-term course that is a condition for acceptance at a DLI

Family or staff member of a foreign representative

A family member of: Canadian team athletes, media representatives, members of the clergy, military personnel based in Canada

Who can apply for a study permit At Port of Entry?

– A national or a permanent resident of the United States
– A resident of Greenland

– A resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon

What is the proof of funds? And what is the minimum amount?

Canadian study permit applicants must prove they can support themselves and accompanying family members, if applicable, while in Canada.

1. Proof of funds

Proof of funds for a study permit can be proven with - Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
- Proof of a student/education loan from a bank;
- Bank statements for the past four months;
- A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars;
- Proof you paid tuition and housing fees;
- A letter from the person or school giving you money; and/or
- Proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

2. Minimum funds

The minimum funds requirements are outlined below. The requirements for students destined for the province of Quebec are different.

Minimum funds: All Province (Except Quebec)

Minimum funds for Quebec:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I work while I studying in Canada?​

Yes! But there are some restrictions on different kinds of work.

On Campus
  • Work permit NOT required
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Enrolled full time at a designated Canadian post-secondary institution
  • Have a Social Insurance Number(SIN)
Off Campus
  • Work permit NOT required
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Enrolled full time at a designated Canadian post-secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General Interest/Preparatory programs NOT eligible)
  • Can work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions, and full time during holidays
  • Have a Social Insurance Number(SIN)
Co-op or Intern
  • Work permit NOT required
  • Have a valid study permit
  • The intended employment must be an essential part of the academic program in Canada (ESL/FSL/General Interest/Preparatory programs NOT eligible), but no more than 50%
Post Graduation
  • Work Permit required
  • Have graduated from a designated Canadian post-secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General Interest/Preparatory programs NOT eligible)
  • Distance learning eligible if it is less than 50% of the program
  • Must apply within 180 days after written confirmation or completed studies and have a valid study permit at some point during these 180 days
  • WP generally issued for same length of study program for people who studied in programs of more than 8 months, but under 2 years in length
  • For programs 2 years or longer, the PGWP may be issued for 3 years
  • No prior PGWP has been issued
Is there anyway that I can study without a study permit in Canada?

Yes if you checked all the elements below. This one is called Student Direct Stream.

– Legal residents of China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, and Vietnam.

– Medical exam confirmation

– Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD $10,000 from a Canadian financial Institution

– Proof of paid tuition fees for the first year of study

– Graduated from a Canadian high school or submit language test results (IELTS band 6 / TEF CLB7)

– Acceptance Letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada

Is it possible that I get a permanent residence after study?

Very possibly!

You may turn to Canadian Experience Class program if you have 12 months full time or equivalent part-time Canadian work experience in NOC 0, A, or B three years before applying.

Or, you can turn to some other Provincial Nominee Programs for international students.

Also, if you have strong educational backgrounds and language proficiency, you may try using Express Entry system and create your profile.

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top