From Visitor Visa to PR Status in Canada 2022

From Visitor Visa to PR Status in Canada 2022

If you have fallen in love with Canada and would like to immigrate, there are a few things that you can you do while in Canada on a visitor visa. Besides qualifying for refugee status or being in a relationship with a partner that already has Canadian citizenship, you can become permanent resident in Canada through study pathway.

Visitor to PR in Canada

How to get a study permit? We can help!

From Visitor visa to Study Permit in Canada 2022

To study in Canada, you must have a Study Permit. A Study Permit is different from a Student Visa. 

A Student Visa is an authorization to enter the country.

A Study Permit gives you the authority to stay in the country.

Visitors who are visiting Canada may apply for a study permit when inside Canada.  Some people don’t need a study permit to study in Canada if their program lasts less than 6 months. However, if you wish to apply to a DLI school while in Canada, one of this must applies:

  • you’re a Ukrainian national or family member of a Ukrainian national
  • you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parent has a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • you’re an exchange student or visiting student
  • you completed a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re being sponsored to immigrate and you already applied for permanent residence (if you’re eligible)
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order
  • you’re the spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of:
    • an athlete on a team based in Canada
    • a member of the media
    • a member of the clergy
    • military personnel on duty in Canada or
    • an accredited foreign representative
  • you’re a refugee claimant in Canada or a family member of a refugee claimant in Canada
visitor visa to student

*Picture from

Change visitor visa to study permit

If you’re thinking about applying for a study permit while inside Canada, it’s important to know that there may be some risks involved with this method if you are a more mature candidate.

As mentioned on the government website, visitors who have completed a short-term course or a study program are required to be accepted at a DLI. Often, students are first issued a letter of conditional acceptance from their designated learning institution (DLI) before being granted permission to study in Canada. This means that your university or college has accepted you into their program, but the government is still reviewing part of your application. You’ll get an email or letter notifying you if and when your application is accepted or rejected, usually within three weeks of submitting the final documents required by IRCC.

If your application is approved, you’ll be able to choose any full-time or part-time courses and programs that are offered to foreign students at the chosen college.

Appy to change visitor visa to study permit

From Study Permit to PR in Canada 2022

After completing studies in Canada, international students have many pathways to transition to Permanent Resident (PR) in Canada:

  1. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

In order to qualify for the Canadian Experience Class, student applicants must have at least one year (or 12 months) of work experience. This is defined as at least 1,560 hours of skilled work in a skilled occupation (candidates must apply within three years of obtaining 1 year of qualifying experience). Students can obtain requisite work experience in Canada by applying for a Canadian Post-Graduation Work Permit. It is important to note that part-time work experience earned during studies or as part of a study program (such as internships and co-ops) does not count toward the Canadian work experience requirement.

2. Quebec Experience Class (QEC)

International students who have completed a recognized program of study in Quebec, and who possess an intermediate level of proficiency in the French language may qualify under this Canadian immigration program. Canadian work experience is not required for this Quebec immigration program.

3. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Many provinces offer Canadian immigration programs for foreign students via the provincial nominee programs they have in place. Generally, applicants must have graduated from a Canadian post secondary education program. Requirements can vary by province; sometimes work experience and a job offer is required. PNPs are a popular Canadian immigration option as applications for Canadian permanent residency are typically processed faster compared to other immigration programs.

4. Post-Graduation Work Permits

post-graduation work permit is not a direct permanent residence program. However, it does allow most international students who has graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) to remain in Canada after their period of study and work with any employer in Canada. This experience can help a person to qualify for Canadian permanent residence, usually through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or an employer-driven Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Please note that not all programs offered at DLIs are eligible for a post-graduation work permit.

Apply for PGWP

Chat with our consultant now

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top