How to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)?

How to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)?

A post-graduate work permit is a permit allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Table of Contents

Want to study in Canada?

What is a Post Graduate Work Permit?

Post-graduation work permit is permit allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Work experience obtained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program may help support your application to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Who is eligible to participate PGWP?

To obtain a work permit under the PGWP, the applicant must meet the following requirements: 

  • have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit
    have continuously studied full time in Canada (i.e., studies must have taken place at a Canadian educational institution) and have completed a program of study that is at least 8 months in duration
  • have completed and passed the program of study and received a written notification from the educational institution indicating that they are eligible to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate; the educational institution must be one of the following:
  • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade or technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec)
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions
  • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (i.e., bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate), but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution

Applicants must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (e.g., an official letter or transcript) from the educational institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study. Calculation of the 90 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first.

Post graduate working permit

Want to immigrate to Canada?

Who is ineligible for PGWP?

International students must take into consideration the possible negative consequences of planning to enroll in online courses. A small percentage (1-2) of online courses for the duration of the entire studies is acceptable, but no more than that.
The following students are not eligible to apply for PGWP: 

  • studied online inside or outside of Canada, the length of the program is 6 months or less
  • obtained Canadian government scholarship (Canadian Commonwealth, CIDA, DFAIT)
    obtained Fullbright or Killam Fellowships
    Rotary exchange students
  • obtained scholarship Canada-Chile or Canada-China
  • not studied continuously full time (except last semester and any regular scheduled breaks)

Documents Required

In most cases, the following documents are required to apply for a PGWP

  • Application (IMM 5710)
  • Passport photcopies
  • Study Permit
  • Graduation Letter & Final Transcript.
  • Digital Photo
  • Documents must be provide in one of the following digital file types: .tiff, .jpg, .png, .doc, .docx and .pdf. Please note that only one file can be uploaded per field. You can use a free, multi-page scanner at the library or computer lab to scan your documents.You can also use a single page scanner and an online PDF merge program to combine separately scanned pages into one single file.
Post graduate working permit

Different Ways to apply

International students graduating from VIU can apply inside or outside Canada within 90 days of program completion:

  • Online (application processing time is shorter)
  • Paper (application processing time is longer and application fee must be paid online)
  • Students from visa exempt countries and the US, Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon, have an option to apply at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE). Spouses of International graduate’s will not be authorized automatically for the post graduate open work permit. It will be a two-step process for spouses. When the International graduate is employed in a high skills position, they can apply for their spouse’s open work permit with a copy of their job contract and with three pay slips. Processing fee for PGWP is $155 CAD, open work permit fee is $100 CAD.

Need Help?

Let us use our experience to help you stay in Canada.

Please fill out the form and we will get back to you shortly.

Toronto oFFICE

3 mins walk from Bathrust Subway Station

641 Bloor Street West 2nd floor
Toronto, ON

Open 7 days

Canada | Brazil | Taiwan | Mexico| Japan

Mon – Friday:9:30 – 20:00
Saturday: By Appointment
SunDay: By Appointment

Call us

1 (877) 791-4828
Toll-Free Number

email us

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top