How to change college from private to public in Canada?

Some international students who come to Canada for studies might feel the need to change their college.

Change college from private to public in Canada

Some international students who come to Canada for studies might feel the need to change their college. As most of them make decisions influenced by their agents in their home country, students can be misguided. They might feel that the particular college they are enrolled in isn’t their best choice or the program doesn’t suit their interest. Other reasons could be the discouraging faculty, unable to adapt to the environment, they can be studying in a non-designated learning institute (DLI) that makes them ineligible for post-graduate work permit (PGWP), and so on.

So, am I allowed to change college?

Yes, you can change your college according to CIC. However, you must meet all the conditions stated by them.

Having said that, you have to be extremely careful while doing so. So here are a few things that you need to consider before changing your college:

1) Change the (Designated Learning Institute) DLI number – It is important to notify the High Commission about any change you make in college. And to do it, you need to change your DLI number in your CIC account.

2) Unofficial breaks – As per CIC, you should avoid long breaks between your enrollment as it can affect your international student status in Canada.

3) Inform the current college – You have to withdraw your enrollment officially from the school you are currently studying. Having their approval is necessary. If you fail to do so, the old school might report you as an unregistered student. And according to CIC if you are unregistered, you are breaking the conditions for a study permit.

Points to remember for Post-secondary students looking to change schools:

  • If you are a post-secondary student studying in DLI school, the school you want to change must also be a DLI student.
  • Inform CIC every time when you change your school.
  • If you are changing school on your own account, the service is free of cost.
  • If you are changing schools, there is no need to apply to change of study permit.

Which educational bodies are included in post-secondary studies?

  • Universities
  • Community colleges, CEGEP, institutes
  • Private universities, career colleges, academies, schools or training institutes and
  • ESL/FSL and other language training

What do I need to know if I am planning to move to a school in Quebec?

  • Get an acceptance letter from the desired school.
  • You must get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
  • Finally, apply for a study permit. If you already have a study permit in other provinces and get a CAQ, you do not have to apply again.

What if I am already in Quebec and want to change your school/program/level of study?

You need to contact the Immigration of Quebec, ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI).

These were a few important things you need to be mindful of when changing a college. If this seems to be a tedious process or you think that you can make mistakes, we suggest you take professional help. Or else feel free to contact us today. Click here to contact. We will be happy to help you. We have highly experienced consultants to support you to get through this transition smoothly. 

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top