How to Convert Your Tourist Visa to a Study Permit from Inside Canada

A common question we encounter is whether it’s possible to apply for a Study Permit if you’re already in Canada on a Visitor Visa. The answer is yes, and we’re here to guide you through the process.

Understanding the Study Permit

A Study Permit is an official document issued by the Canadian government, allowing foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. But what happens if you’re already visiting Canada and decide you want to study? Fortunately, with some careful planning, converting your Tourist Visa to a Study Permit is possible.

The Conversion Process: A Step-by-Step Guide

Step 1: Enroll in a Short-Term Prerequisite Course

To start, you can’t directly apply for a Study Permit upon deciding to study. First, you must enroll in a prerequisite course lasting between 3 to 6 months, affiliated with a DLI. This step is crucial for making your Study Permit application eligible.

Step 2: Secure a Conditional College Offer

While completing your short-term course, it’s essential to secure a conditional offer from a college that is a DLI approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You can find a list of approved colleges on the IRCC website. Upon receiving your acceptance letter and completing the prerequisite course, you’re ready for the next step.

Step 3: Apply for Your Study Permit Inside Canada

A common pitfall for many applicants is the lack of awareness about the correct documentation needed for applying within Canada, leading to refusals. Here’s a brief overview of the documents you’ll need:

  • A letter of acceptance from the DLI you plan to attend.
  • Proof of identity and financial support to sustain your studies in Canada.
  • Supporting documents, such as a letter of explanation, medical exam results, and a statement of purpose.

Importantly, applying from within Canada exempts you from needing an attestation letter, and you won’t be affected by the student cap, simplifying the process further.

How Canada Admission Hub Can Help

At Admission Hub, we pride ourselves on being the only firm in Canada specializing in converting Visitor Visas to Study Permits. Our team of legal professionals ensures your application is meticulously prepared, maximizing your chances of approval.

Additional Benefits of Applying from Inside Canada

  • No IELTS Requirement: Applying from within Canada means you don’t need to meet the English language proficiency typically required for international students.
  • No Age Limit or Study Gap Issues: Unlike applications from outside Canada, your chances of approval are not affected by your age or gaps in your educational history.

If converting your Visitor Visa to a Study Permit aligns with your goals, we’re here to help. Book a consultation with our advisors today, and take the first step towards your educational journey in Canada.

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top