How to extend your stay in Canada : 5 ways

To extend your stay in Canada as an international student IRCC is offering several options for temporary visa holders, even if you are waiting on a decision for permanent residence or temporary residence.

How to extend your stay in Canada : 5 ways

To extend your stay in Canada as an international student, visitor, or foreign worker, IRCC is offering several options for temporary visa holders, even if you are waiting on a decision for permanent residence or temporary residence. Currently IRCC offers five options on how to extend your stay in Canada. Those are Maintained status, Work permit, Study permit, Bridging open work permit (BOWP), Spouse open work permit (SOWP).

Change visitor visa to work permit in Canada 2022

How to extend your stay in Canada

1.Extend stay in Canada through Maintained status

If a visitor, student, or foreign worker applies to extend their stay in Canada before that status expires, he or she can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. In this situation, the person has maintained status. This means you can stay in Canada with the same conditions as your previous permit until IRCC makes a decision about your application.

Need help with your study permit application?

2.Extend stay in Canada through Work permit

To extend your stay in Canada the country offers work permit options like LMIA. With The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), the employer seeks permission from Employment and Development Services Canada showing actual need of foreign workers to fill the vacancies. Once approved, the worker can use the confirmation letter copy to apply for a work permit to IRCC.

3.Extend stay in Canada through Study permit

Visitors in Canada can change their status to study permit without going back to your home country. We at Canada Admission hub, help you to enrol as a full time student. You can join Co-op programs in top private colleges like Toronto school of management (TSOM) and Georgian at ILAC, Toronto where you get to study and work up to 20hrs per week.

At Canada Admission Hub, we are proud to be the most respected and trusted by international clients and students all over the world. We have a high success rate to change your visitor visa status to study permit inside Canada including some difficult cases such as middle-aged students, gaps in education, student visa denied history, and so on.

4. Extend stay in Canada through Bridging open work permit (BOWP)

The BOWP allows certain permanent residency applicants to extend their stay in Canada beyond the expiry date of their temporary status. The immigration programs available for BOWP are

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Class(Since September 2021, foreign workers on this generally did not have opportunities to apply for permanent residence in Canada – without an Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) from IRCC, they cannot get a BOWP, but they may be able to apply for other work permits.)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Quebec Skilled Workers
  • Agri-Food Pilot Program

5. Extend stay in Canada through Spouse open work permit (SOWP).

SOWP can be a way to extend your stay in Canada if your spouse or common-law partner happens to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Spouses of temporary residents can also apply for this permit. Spouses of international students enrolled in eligible programmes can also apply for the SOWP if they can prove their relationship is legal.

Ask for professional help

Immigrate into Canada as a visitor

Canada has been a favorite study destination for international students all over the globe. Canada is full of opportunities, you can make the most of your experience here. Once you became a student in Canada, you are allowed to work on- and off-campus jobs, have internships, and do co-op placements. You and your spouse or partner can gain valuable experience in the Canadian workforce.

Start your journey in Canada

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.

Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions.

If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top