How to register for Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Canada

First time in Canada as a Study Permit holder? You should know these DO and DON’T when you have a Study Permit in Canada

How to register for Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Canada

To start a new life in Canada after moving, students and employees must get a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which uses for tax purposes and to work lawfully in this country.

Social insurance number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) consists of nine digits. If you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or temporary resident, you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or receive government benefits and services.

What do you need to apply for SIN?

The IRCC requires original papers; photocopies are not acceptable. And, if you are applying online, you must prepare the following documents before proceeding to the registration page:

  • a digital copy of an original valid primary identity document (passport)
  • a digital copy of an original valid secondary document (study permit or work permit)
  • a digital copy of a proof of address (phone number contract, bank contract)
  • a digital copy of an original valid supporting document (only applicable if the name on your primary identity document is different from the name on your secondary document or than the name on your online SIN application form)

If you want to apply by mail, you must first fill out and sign the SIN application form on the IRCC website before mailing it to the Canadian government.

Want to study and work in Canada?

social insurance number for students

How to apply for SIN?

If you live in Canada, you can apply for SIN in one of three ways: online, by email, or in-person (this applies when online and email does not work). If your application satisfies all the conditions, you will receive a mail with a letter of your SIN within 20 business days after its receipt. If you apply by mail, guarantee you provide the correct address because the government is not liable for documents lost in transit.

What to do with your SIN?

You should be aware that your SIN code is highly essential, so you should not use it as identification or offer it for job applications, renting applications, or other similar purposes. If your Social Security number falls into the wrong hands, someone will exploit your personal information and intrude on your privacy. In this case, they may get your government benefits, tax refunds, or bank credits. So, here’s what you need to know to safeguard your SIN:

  • Do not carry it in your wallet or purse—store it in a safe place
  • Never use your SIN as a piece of identification
  • Only provide SIN over the phone and only when you are sure that it is legally required
  • Never reply to emails that ask for personal information like your SIN
  • Shred paper records with your SIN once you no longer need them—do not recycle them
  • If you change your name or your citizenship status, contact Service Canada to update
  • Report to Service Canada immediately to protect your SIN if you suspect someone is using it fraudulently.
Social insurance number fraud

The majority of overseas students will be assigned a social insurance number beginning with a “9.” Students whose SIN and study permission have expired and who are regarded to have an inferred status as temporary residents should review the following information. If you are a recent graduate, you must apply for a SIN renewal as soon as you get your post-graduation work permit (PGWP). The figure will remain the same as it was during your study.

It is necessary to apply for a SIN while studying or working in Canada, so if you are new to the country, be sure you have all of the necessary documents. It is critical to keep your SIN safe when in Canada. Good luck with your SIN application and enjoy your life in Canada!

social insurance number for students

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top