How to work in Canada under the International Mobility Program (IMP)?

How to work in Canada? How to get a work permit as a foreigner? Discover your options with the International Mobility Program (IMP)

How to work in Canada under the International Mobility Program (IMP)?

How to work in Canada? How to get a work permit as a foreigner? Discover your options with the International Mobility Program (IMP)

work in canada

1. What is the International Mobility Program (IMP)?

Each year, Canada issues hundreds of thousands of work permits to talent from all over the world. This is due to Canada’s desire to welcome global talent to support its economic and social objectives. This is also an open door for foreigners to get their opportunity to immigrate and become Canadian citizens. 

One of the common pathways to work in Canada is the International Mobility Program (IMP). IMP exists to advance Canada’s diverse economic and social interests. Eligible foreign workers under the IMP can apply to IRCC to obtain a work permit. Some foreign workers are eligible to forgo this step altogether and travel to Canada to work for a short period of time. Canada also allows its residents, such as international graduates, and eligible spouses/partners to obtain work permits under the IMP since Canada wants to enable them to get local work experience and be able to support themselves financially while they live in the country.

Explore your options to work in Canada

2. How to get a Canadian work permit under the International Mobility Program?

Getting a work permit under the IMP can be led by an employer or by a foreign worker. If an employer has a vacancy and a foreign worker falls under an IMP stream, the employer can hire the foreign worker. A foreign worker that falls under the IMP can go and work for any employer of their choice.

The best thing about IMP is that the IMP’s policy goals are broader, the Canadian government does not use the LMIA process on foreign nationals who fall under any of the IMP’s streams.

Need help with your Work Permit in Canada?

Common reasons to be eligible to work in Canada under the IMP are:

CUSMA: American and Mexican citizens may be eligible for facilitated processing when applying to work in Canada.

Intra-Company Transfers: This allows certain employers to transfer workers to their offices in Canada.

Television and Film: Canada welcomes entertainment industry workers to support its booming TV and film industry.

Business Visitors: Foreign workers who demonstrate they meet certain conditions, such as that they will be in Canada for under six months and will not be entering the Canadian labour market, can be eligible to work in Canada without needing a work permit.

International Experience Canada: Canada has bilateral agreements with over 30 countries that allow youth to gain work experience in Canada.

Bridging Open Work Permit: Eligible skilled worker candidates living in Canada can apply for a BOWP while their permanent residence application is being processed. In addition, eligible spouses/partners of Canadian citizens/permanent residents can get a BOWP if they are living in Canada.

Post-Graduation Work Permit: The PGWP is the most common work permit under the IMP. Eligible international graduates of Canadian designated learning institutions (e.g., colleges and universities) can obtain a PGWP for up to three years.

Apply to an Ontario Public College and get your Work Permit with Admission Hub

Contact us

3. How do government officers issue a work permit to a foreign national without LMIA?

The foreign national’s proposed benefit to Canada through his or her work must be significant, meaning it must be important or notable. Officers typically rely on the testimony of credible, trustworthy, and distinguished experts in the foreign national’s field, as well as any objective evidence provided. The foreign national’s past record is a good indicator of his or her level of achievement. These records are measure by the below objectives:

  • an official academic record showing that the foreign national has a degree, diploma, certificate, or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to the area of their ability;
  • evidence from current or former employers showing that the foreign national has significant full time experience in the occupation for which he or she is sought (significant in this context can be taken to mean ten or more years experience);
  • has been the recipient of national or international awards or patents;
  • evidence of membership in organizations requiring excellence of its members;
  • having been the judge of the work of others;
  • evidence of recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the field by peers, governmental organizations, or professional or business associations;
  • evidence of scientific or scholarly contributions to the field by the foreign national;
  • publications authored by the foreign national in academic or industry publications; 
  • The leading role of the foreign national in an organization with a distinguished reputation.

Affordable colleges in Ontario, canada, international students

Apply to PGWP as a graduate in Canada

4. How does a foreigner convert a visitor visa to work visa in Canada?

To work in Canada, you will need a valid work permit. A visitor visa does not allow you to work in Canada. however, there is a study pathway to change your visitor visa to a work permit in Canada. You can study and work up to 20 hours/week while studying.

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.

Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions.

If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top