Study in Canada without IELTS

Study in Canada without IELTS: Other English tests

In Canada, Designated Learning Institutions (or DLIs – schools that admit international students) set their own requirements for the language proficiency of international students. This means that some schools have very strict requirements for English proficiency and other schools have very relaxed requirements for English proficiency. They want to know if International Students are comfortable working in English or French, but there are exceptions.

If you are planning to study in Canada, you should research the requirements for the colleges and universities where you want to study. Some schools, like Seneca College or Cambrian College, offer admission without IELTS, allow students to complete some English courses after they start at the school.

Table of Contents

Study in Canada without IELTS: Best Alternatives

English tests for Canada aren’t just limited to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), there are other options for English Tests in Canada. Here are the best alternatives prescribed by universities/colleges for those planning to study in Canada without IELTS:

1. Other English Proficiency tests like TOEFL, Duolingo English Test and CAEL.

The Duolingo English Test (DET) is accepted as an international English language test in several countries, including Canada. You can take the DET online at home, as long as you have a reliable internet connection, a computer, a front-facing camera, a microphone, speaker and a supported browser. The test takes under an hour, and you will receive results within 48 hours.

Other international English tests for Canada include English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL). Other universities/colleges may offer their own test such as the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).


Some colleges and universities also accept Cambridge English Exams, PTE Academic. Ask your university or college which English tests for Canada are right for you or chat with our consultant for more information about your destination school.

Study in Canada without IELTS

2. Experience in an English-medium education

If you come from a country where the dominant language is English, then chances are you will be exempt from needing to take the IELTS.You can submit proof that you have studied in an English medium school for at least 4 years as the replacement for English proficiency scores.

3. English courses from English School

The candidate must complete an intensive English language program from an institute like English Language Institute or you must have completed two years of study at an English-language academic institution. Check out these options below:

4. Students from English Speaking Country

Most universities require the results of an international English language test that proves you are fluent enough to adapt to your course, as well as life in Canada. The first step is to check the language requirements of the college or university you want to apply to, and verify if your native proficiency is accepted. In some cases, the candidates from an English speaking country are also exempted from providing IELTS scores in Canada. You will likely be asked to submit copies of your grades from English class in high school (also known as secondary school).

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong,  China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.

Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. If you are interested in studying in Canada, Register for free consulting services. We’ll take a look at your eligibility for Canadian studies and contact you to discuss your options.


Interviewed by Apple Daily newspapers and Epochal Times

More Posts
Joining our email list!
Sign up to receive email updates on school scholarships, promotions, and Canadian visa news