Study Permit: DO and DON’T

Study Permit: DO and DON’T

Congratulations on your new journey in Canada as an international student! Canada creates various opportunities for study permit holders; however, there are some basic rules that you have to be aware of. It is crucial to understand your rights and obligations as a study permit holder, otherwise, you could possibly lose your status.

Change visitor visa to study permit in Canada 2022

Want to study in Canada? Contact us now

What is a study permit?

Table of Contents

A study permit is a document that allows international students to study at the designed learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. International students have to apply for a study permit before their travel to Canada. Most foreign nationals must have a study permit to study in the country.

How to get a study permit? We can help!

What CAN you do with your Study Permit?

1. Work on and Off-Campus

Without a work permit, you can only work on-campus if you are already registered as a full-time student at a Designed Learning Institution (DLI). Moreover, you need to have the Social Insurance Number (SIN). To work in Canada or have the access to programs and benefits from the Government of Canada, you need to have the SIN, which is a 9-digit number. Please keep in mind that your SIN should be private and it is your responsibility to protect it. 

The same rule applies for working off-campus, except that you have to register for any program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate and it must last longer than 6 months. Under certain circumstances such as the situation where you are in your final semester and no longer need a full-course load to finish your program, then you are allowed to work off-campus as a part-time student. However, you still need to keep your full-time student status up until that point.

2. Get a provincial identification card

With the identification card, you will not need to have your passport everywhere with you anymore. In those provinces such as Ontario and Alberta, foreign nationals can apply for government-issued identification for non-immigration purposes. With the identification card, you can travel or enter places that require IDs.

The process for you to apply is quite easy; however, you can only do it if you are a legal resident in Canada for more than 90 days. The international center in your school can help you with the process, or you can contact the respective province to learn more about how to apply for the card.

Apply now

3. File for tax returns

You are eligible for the annual tax claims. Each year, most colleges and universities in Canada will provide their students with a free tax clinic. All you have to do is prepare the documents needed such as your T4, T2202A…and they can assist you with the rest of the process. Or you can hire an accountant to file your tax. Overall, remember that the deadline for filing income tax returns is on April 30 each year.

What you CANNOT do with your study permit?

1. Work more than 20 hours during your academic term

During your school time, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. The Government came up with this rule because they want to make sure that most of your time should be spent on your study. It is overwhelming to work more than 20 hours while studying a full course load. Nevertheless, you can work full time during your semester break such as in the summer, as long as you still have the student status at a DLI. 

2. Change your school without approval

In order to transfer to another school, firstly, you must maintain your student status in Canada. After that, you have to contact the Canada Immigration and Citizenship (CIC) as soon as possible if:
You wish to transfer to another school
You have a co-op work permit and have changed to a co-op program in another school
You need to change your study permit conditions

Transfer to another college? Call us now

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top