Difference Between Student Visa and Study Permit in Canada

Obtaining a student visa is an important part of application process and allows international students to enter Canada for their studies. But student visa alone isn’t enough to start your studies in Canada. Applicants need to obtain a study permit as well to study at designated learning institutions in Canada as a foreign national. So what’s the difference between Study Permit and a Student visa?

Change visitor visa to work permit in Canada 2022

Difference between a Student Visa and Study Permit in Canada

1. Definition of a Student visa and Study Permit

What is a Canada Student Visa?

A Canada Student Visa allows the person who has it to start their studies in Canada. The visa for students is basically the same as a Canada Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTa), but the student also needs a study permit. So the Canada student visa is a combination of either a visitor visa and a study permit or an eTA and a study permit.

The student visa will be stamped on the student’s passport when their application to study in Canada is approved. This confirms the applicant’s identity as a student in Canada and will be given entry at the border.

What is a Canada Study Permit?

The study permit is the document issued by IRCC that allows the students to study in their respective designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada – these institutions are allowed by the Canadian Government to take the applications and teach international students in Canada.

The study permit allows the student to stay for the entire duration of programs, plus an extra 90 days. The extra day allows you to either go back to your home country or to apply for a work permit.

Your study permit isn’t a travel document. Your permit lets you study in Canada, but you may also need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If IRCC approves your study permit, they will also give you either a visitor visa or an eTA, depending on which document you need and this document will let you enter Canada.

Need help with your study permit application?

2. How to apply for a Study Permit and get a Student visa

The first step to applying for a study permit is to get an LOA (letter of acceptance) from a DLI institute in Canada. The LOA will contain all the details of your course like the total tuition fees, course duration and living expenses.

In addition to LOA to you need to provide a statement of purpose stating the need to study in Canada including leaving the country after your studies. Proof of financial support, records of any criminal activity, health check-ups are among other documents required for application.

Once the study permit is approved Canada issues a TRV (temporary resident visa) or the student visa to travel to Canada. A TRV is an official document that is placed in your passport by an officer to show that you have met the requirements for temporary resident entry to Canada.

3.Extension of Study permit and Student visa

Once your studies are completed you can extend your stay in Canada by applying for a work permit which allows you to work full time for the duration of work permit. The validity of work permit depends on the duration of course. If you have chosen a one year course you get work permit for one year, whereas if you have taken a course with duration of two or more year you get to stay and work for three years. During this period you can gain Canadian experience and also have options to become a permanent resident in Canada.

Ask for professional help

Immigrate into Canada as a visitor

Canada has been a favorite study destination for international students all over the globe. Canada is full of opportunities, you can make the most of your experience here. Once you became a student in Canada, you are allowed to work on- and off-campus jobs, have internships, and do co-op placements. You and your spouse or partner can gain valuable experience in the Canadian workforce.

Start your journey in Canada

Working in Canada as a visitor in 2022.


Interviewed by Apple Daily newspapers and Epochal Times

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India. Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions. If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top