Can I take my wife and my children come to Canada with me?

Bringing your wife and children to Canada with you is confusing sometimes if you don’t know the requirement and the specifics of your situation. 

Get help with your application

Can I take my wife and my children come to Canada with me?

Can I take my wife and my children come to Canada with me? We received a lot of similar questions to this one, it depends on how long are you planning to stay in Canada. 

1. If you are coming to Canada for a short time

Your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada if they:

  • meet all the requirements for temporary residents to Canada,
  • satisfy an immigration officer they will only stay in Canada temporarily,
  • can prove they have no criminal record, if necessary, and
  • meet all the conditions for getting a temporary resident visa, if they are from a country or territory whose citizens require a visa in order to enter Canada as visitors.

2. If you are moving to Canada permanently

Your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada if they:

  • you and your family members meet the eligibility requirements of your program (for example, you meet the income requirement to sponsor your family members),
  • your children qualify as dependents, and
  • your family members are not inadmissible to Canada.

Change visitor visa to work permit in Canada 2022

3. What is the difference between spouse and common-law partner?

In Canada, your wife have to fit the legal definition on IRCC glossary. If your wife fit the definition of spouse or common-law partner and the above qualify, then he or she can come to Canada.

First of all, what is spouse and common-law partner by legal definition?

Spouse is a legal marriage partner. Means that you both married and have documents to prove this relationship. This term includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships but does not include common-law partnerships.

Common-law partner (Related term: Common-law spouse) means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year. The term refers to opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.

For example: You and your partner move in to live together (at least a year) without having a legal documents to prove that you are married then your partner is belong to this category – common-law partner

Get a Work Permit in Canada 2022 as a Visitor

4. How do I know if my children are dependent children?

In glossary on the Government of Canada website, Dependent child means a child who is under the maximum age and is not married or in a common law relationship. Generally, to qualify as dependants, children must

  • be under 22 years old
  • not have a spouse or common-law partner

Exception: Children who are at the age limit or older can qualify as “over-age” dependants if they

  • have depended on their parents for financial support since before they reached the age limit and
  • can’t financially support themselves due to a mental or physical condition

Previous age limits:

The age limit has changed in recent years. If your application has been in process for a while, one of the older definitions of dependent child may apply. Generally, we use the rules in place when we get your complete application. Previous age limits for a dependent child:

  • From August 1, 2014 to October 23, 2017: under 19 years old
  • On or before July 31, 2014: under 22 years old

Note: The rules for over-age dependents are different for applications that were submitted on or before July 31, 2014.

Ask for professional help

Other questions you may want to ask

FAQ: Can I Convert a tourist visa to a work visa inside Canada 2022?

Is it possible to convert a V-1 visa to an S-1 visa in Canada?

How to change from a Visitor visa to a Work visa in Canada?

How to change from a visitor visa to a study permit in Canada?

Ways to get a work permit as a visitor in Canada 2022

At Canada Admission Hub, the successful rate to change visa status from visitor to study permit is 99% including some hard cases like middle-aged students, gaps in education, student visa denied history, and so on. You can start studying in Canada within a month of the process. With clear instructions, straight forward process, you will find it easy to follow and prepare the necessary paperwork for your permit.

Start study and work in Canada

About Canada Admission Hub

Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.

Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions.

If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Play Video

Related Posts

We have a team of experts who speak over 13 languages

We understand the challenges and needs of international students, and we can communicate with you in your preferred language. We can guide you through every step of the process, from choosing the right college, applying for admission, obtaining a study permit, extending or changing your visa status, to settling in Canada.

Scroll to Top